Friday, March 18, 2011

Sewing with Kids- Pirate Ship

Have you guys been following Celebrate the Boy?

This post is totally inspired by a post from Dana. She did this with her kids and as I was looking through her blog, my girls saw it totally wanted to make a pirate ship for them.

I did a few things differently. The hats and patch were from this book.

The only downside is that all the patterns in the back say to enlarge x2. I hate when books have that. They may as well just not put the templates back there. So I just free-handed the pattern.

Also, I didn't have any black elastic, so I colored it with a sharpie. Made it look more rustic right?

I had the girls help with the stitching along the hat. Even my 3 year old got in on the action and did pretty good.

And using this tutorial, I added a pirate ship flag to our wall so we were legit. 2 legit to quit!
And speaking of that tutorial: So far the fabric has left no color stains on the walls. Its been a month of black fabric on white walls. And the flag below is fabric starched to fabric starched to a wall. And it is sticking. No sew!

And of course there were maps drawn by the girls.
yes mom, that's my Humpty Dumpty preschool shirt on Ady.

No comments: