Friday, January 28, 2011

Bag O Bones tutorial of sorts

A few of you have asked for the pattern to make this. I am not too hip on getting patterns up on the internet for you to print making it the correct size. You could just use a skeleton from Halloween for your pattern. Or find something online. Maybe in a teacher store?

For the black outline I just traced my 5 year old while she was laying down. The bones ended up fitting perfectly inside the outline.


I sewed velcro on the back before I sewed the two pieces together.

Stuffing them wasn't the funnest part. I used chopsticks to get the stuffing down inside. I sewed all around the felt leaving an opening for the stuffing. On the ribs, I left lots of openings and then stuffed and sewed as I went along.


Once all the pieces were stuffed I layed them down where I wanted them and then put pins where the velco needed to go.

For the bag I printed out a skeleton I found online onto fabric paper. The kind you find in the quilting section of JoAnns. I sewed that to the front of a typical drawstring bag.


I also made up cards for the more advanced players. They had all the names of the bones on them. My kids are not at this stage yet but they grow so fast I am sure I will need them before I realize.

Sorry there are no detailed pictures of the process.

2 comments:

knittingsandwich said...

I absolutely love this project! So fun, so creative, so educational. My babe is only 8 months but I'm going to have to wait a bit for this one. but I'm definitely going to remember it.
-Lindsey

Kristin said...

This was by far my favorite project I have seen this whole round of SYTYC...completely original. I have to admit I'm a little bummed that you don't have a pattern though (only because I'm to lazy to do it myself:D)
It could be that I used to be an anatomy teacher too, so this is right up my alley!
Good Job!